Thursday, January 24, 2008

Giants' Frandsen looking to start

Henry Schulman-San Francisco Chronicle
Kevin Frandsen is so pumped about his new, more muscular physique, he greeted a reporter Wednesday by yanking off his shirt to flaunt his concrete biceps.

That might not be the shrewdest behavior as long as ex-Sen. George Mitchell still has his sniffer working, but Frandsen wanted to make a point about how hard he worked on his conditioning this winter. He was no less subtle when he announced the reward he wants for his effort - the Giants' second base job held for the last five seasons by Ray Durham.

"As much as I love Ray - and everyone knows that - and everything that Ray's done for me, I want that job," Frandsen said. "I want to win it. I'm going to take it, and that's what I feel like I'm going to do. You can't think any other way. I don't want to be reluctant to say, 'Oh, I just want to be here.' I want to be here to win, and I want to be here as a full-time, everyday player."

The question is, will the 25-year-old get the chance to unseat Durham, who will earn $7.5 million this season? For that matter, will 26-year-old Daniel Ortmeier get a true shot to be the regular first baseman? Will Rajai Davis, Fred Lewis and Nate Schierholtz have the opportunity to steal starts from Dave Roberts, who has two years and $13 million left on his deal?

These questions cut to the core of the 2008 Giants, who have made only two significant player moves this winter: re-signing shortstop Omar Vizquel to a one-year, $5.3 million contract and signing free-agent center fielder Aaron Rowand to a five-year, $60 million deal.

In opening a new chapter, without Barry Bonds, will the Giants contradict more than a decade of behavior, let their younger players loose and give Ortmeier the 500 at-bats he seeks? (When told Ortmeier wants 500 at-bats, Frandsen smiled and said he wants 700, which should dovetail nicely with Commissioner Bud Selig's secret plan to extend the regular season to 200 games.)

General manager Brian Sabean said Wednesday he fully expects manager Bruce Bochy to give the younger players lots of starts.

"I think at this point it looks favorable," Sabean said. "I think the players realize that, and Boch and the coaching staff realize the transition we're in. To not give guys like Frandsen and Ortmeier a chance to play, in the phase we're in, would be counterproductive."

Which is not to say their jobs are stamped in ink. Sabean said he remains in the trade market, and to a lesser extent free agency, in a search for offense and a regular third baseman - and the roster should be considered "fluid" into spring training and even beyond.

Pedro Feliz apparently is gone, with Sabean saying, "We made a two-year offer, which he rejected. We've pretty much moved on from there." There are other third baseman coming off injuries who might be available via trade - most notably Joe Crede and the already-dealt Scott Rolen - and Sabean acknowledged he is monitoring players in that category.

Barring an acquisition, the Giants could go with a platoon of Frandsen and Rich Aurilia at third base (when Frandsen is not playing second) and Aurilia and Ortmeier at first. Sabean said Aurilia's presence most likely precludes the signing of another role-type first baseman, such as Tony Clark or Mike Sweeney, to mentor Ortmeier.

Ortmeier also got bigger over the winter, not only rising from 220 pounds to 230, but reapportioning his weight to make his swing more powerful, as the team asked him to do.

He slugged .430 in 305 at-bats for Triple-A Fresno last season and .497 in 167 at-bats with the Giants, including seven doubles, four triples and six home runs.
He recognizes he cannot replace the power lost with Bonds.

"I'm definitely not going to come in and try to hit more home runs," Ortmeier said. "I'm going to try to do what I do, which is make good, consistent contact. I think I'm strong enough, and my mechanics are good enough, that if I hit the ball, it's going to go. I'm not too worried about that. You can't come and think, 'I gained 10 pounds. I'm going to hit 15 more home runs.' "

Sabean's interview with The Chronicle was his first since a congressional hearing in which he was taken to task for his supposed role in enabling steroid use in the Giants' clubhouse. He declined comment on that issue.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger