Monday, February 18, 2008

Giants Durham and Frandsen should have strong competition for 2nd base


Janie McCauley - Associated Press

When the position players report to Giants camp Monday, one of the most intriguing story lines will be the competition at second base, featuring relative newcomer Kevin Frandsen vs. incumbent Ray Durham.


The 25-year-old Frandsen, in the best shape of his young career after a rigorous offseason regimen, has said he plans to do all in his power to take the job - and San Francisco's brass will give him that chance. At 36, Durham begins his 14th major league season and a contract year looking to bounce back from a career-worst campaign in 2007 in which nothing seemed to go right.


Frandsen said the Giants told him before the offseason to prepare to play second, but the dilemma with Durham is that he's due to make $7.5 million in 2008.


"They said, 'Your play has shown us a lot, but obviously there is a little obstacle in front,"' Frandsen said. "It's one of those things that will play itself out. I don't think they needed to tell me to get ready for this season. I took a month off and that's about all I needed.


"I've experienced plenty around here, as far as situational stuff. I know there's plenty more to go, but hopefully a lot more good than just learning experiences. That's exciting for me to think about."


General manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy have had plenty of chances to watch Frandsen in recent days considering he has been working out at Scottsdale Stadium with other early arriving position players.


Frandsen is lean, stronger and weighs 185 pounds this spring, down about five pounds from his 2007 playing weight.


Durham batted a career-low .218 last year in his fifth season for San Francisco with 11 home runs and 71 RBIs. Bochy is eager to see how Durham looks when he arrives.


"I am - to see where he's at physically and also see where his head's at," the Giants' second-year skipper said. "I will sit down with Ray when he gets here to talk about the situation we're looking at."
The switch-hitting Durham's down year followed his best season ever in 2006, when he hit .293 with career bests of 26 homers and 93 RBIs. The home runs and RBIs were the highest totals in franchise history by a switch hitter.


Frandsen, meanwhile, has played only parts of two major league seasons the past two years, but appeared in 109 games for the Giants in 2007 and batted .269 with five homers, 31 RBIs, 12 doubles and a triple.


"It's time now. That's the way I look at it. It's my time," Frandsen said. "I've proven myself and what I can do as an everyday basis as a regular."

No comments:

Powered By Blogger