Friday, February 29, 2008

Rowand wants Giants to deal for Crede

Joe Cowley - Chicageo Sun-Times
Two weeks into spring training, Aaron Rowand still is trying to add ''general manager'' to his resume.

Speaking with a Sun-Times reporter Thursday, the former White Sox outfielder and South Side cult hero again petitioned for his new team, the San Francisco Giants, to acquire Sox third baseman Joe Crede.
''Joe's a great guy and a great baseball player and a great friend, so ... would I like to have him on this team? Of course,'' Rowand said before a Cactus League game against the Cubs. ''I'm definitely biased, not only friendship-wise, but as a player, too, because I think the world of him.''

Crede was the subject of trade talks this offseason because the Sox think they have a star-in-waiting in Josh Fields and because Crede will be a free agent after the season with no contract extension in sight.

The holdup in moving him was season-ending back surgery last June. But through the early days of camp, Crede has shown no signs of a setback in his recovery.

Now it's just a matter of the Sox receiving what they think is fair value in return.
see what happens,'' Rowand said. ''Nothing's ever for sure in this game. A lot of weird things happen. Things don't happen that are supposed to happen. For now, I'm sure Joe's going about his business and thinking about being with the Chicago White Sox, just like I'm doing here.''

Rowand spoke with Giants officials about Crede when they inquired about him but hasn't heard if they are close to pulling the trigger.

''They asked me what kind of guy he was, and I gave them an honest answer,'' Rowand said. ''But I'm not in management. I have no idea. I don't sit in on those meetings.''

No comments:

Powered By Blogger